A word on “creepy”: I know it gets thrown around a lot without necessarily being explained, so I’ll take a crack at it.
“Creepy" doesn’t have to be a one-on-one thing, or even an attraction thing. People can notice it even without an overt sexual aspect.
I like to think of it as a Spidey sense women develop under duress. When you’re female, unwelcome male attention kicks in when you’re YOUNG, with no power to do anything about it. Sure, you could slug a classmate, maybe, but not six of them, or the grown men who follow you down the street in their cars trying to get you to come with them, or the mob of boys on bikes who chase you in a pack every time they see you, or the godfather who leers and says inappropriate stuff even with other people in the room, or the guys who scream “Cow!” out the car at you because they can see your (skinny, even!) midriff in the cool new shirt you cut up, or or or … and that’s just stuff that happened to me in the year I was 12. It starts young (no, really, young) and doesn’t go away.
We don’t get to fight back, either. When we complain, we’re told the same things:
"It means he likes you. You should be flattered!"
"Oh, that’s not that bad."
"You should’ve known better than to wear that."
"Well, walk a different way next time."
"just ignore him."
The only way we’re given to deal with it is avoiding trouble, so we get really good at picking up on subtext. Like, REALLY good. “It’s your job to predict the future and avoid it” good. Like, “your life actually depends on it” good. So we learn to see the world through that head-up display from “Predator.” We don’t get the luxury of not noticing stuff.
Someone acting pissed at being lonely is someone who thinks the world owes them something, and that something could be *you.* Someone who casually fucks up group safety is someone who doesn’t mind making their own decisions about your own risk level. Someone who treats strangers poorly has a low baseline for how they treat all people. Someone acting like they have a right to your personal space without checking first or reading your discomfort? Yikes. Even without any overt sexual angle, someone acting entitled and not respecting your boundaries already has too much in common with dangerous people.
In a culture that teaches women to smooth things over and not stir up trouble, where you’re not really given much of a vocabulary or tool kit to identify and call out people who feel like they have an unquestioned right to you or your time or your attention or your body or even your damn SMILE, and where the world tries to slap those tools out of your hands when you try to pick them up, all that’s left is the word “creepy.”
So yeah, we use it a lot. And if a woman says a guy’s creepy, you don’t have to automatically agree with her. But you might want to consider that you’re not seeing what she’s seeing.
Nothing in this is new, by the way; it’s a consolidation of years of reading and — duh — lived experience. Here are links that’ve informed it, harmonize with it or are generally useful.
- Schrödinger’s Rapist: or a guy’s guide to approaching strange women without being maced
- XKCD: “Friends” (comic)
"Ugh, I’m creeped out and don’t know what to do."
- Captain Awkward: Can I Tell Guys I Don’t Want to Date Them Before They Ask Me to Date Them?
- Captain Awkward: The Art of No
"Help, I might be creepy" (not just for dudes!)
- Pervocracy: Consent culture
- The Pervocracy: How not to be creepy
- Doctor Nerdlove: Don’t be a creeper
- Girls Chase: How Not to be Creepy - From a “how to get girls”-type site. See? It’s not all feminist blogs that recognize creepiness. One thing a lot of pick-up / get-women-to-notice-you sites have in common is “Don’t hide what you want, pay attention to how you’re going over and gracefully accept the chance you’ll get shot down,” and all of those are rock-solid.
- cinqueform reblogged this from arletterocks
- loserfacechew likes this
- upholdingthelol reblogged this from songofkeys
- polterghast likes this
- songofkeys reblogged this from arletterocks
- hangeyan likes this
- lefoinquidepassedelacharrette likes this
- codenamecesare likes this
- songforsaturday likes this
- jokerkat likes this
- jokerkat reblogged this from arletterocks
- diners-at-sunrise likes this
- 3crates likes this
- fuckyeahumw likes this
- a-curious-creature likes this
- cephalopodgal reblogged this from robinade
- bookbindbound reblogged this from smoteymote
- fennilin likes this
- cammysawr likes this
- redrumandrandom reblogged this from justjasper
- levantateylucha likes this
- dirtyheartblues reblogged this from arletterocks
- majestic-moya likes this
- burnedoutfuck likes this
- sumaqyachay likes this
- eisenburgers likes this
- thoughtsfromwhistlestop reblogged this from bantamshine
- underorange likes this
- thoughtsfromwhistlestop likes this
- bantamshine reblogged this from logic-and-art
- dukeoferll reblogged this from itsamemariko
- thecosmicconundrum likes this
- thecrazyclarinetist2016 reblogged this from fairnessessity
- secretcheri likes this
- fairnessessity reblogged this from fractionalrabbits
- yourtumblriscrap reblogged this from fierceflamingunicorn
- avilething reblogged this from itsamemariko
- itsamemariko reblogged this from logic-and-art
- dsdrt likes this
- suchashinyshellfish reblogged this from logic-and-art
- fierceflamingunicorn reblogged this from fractionalrabbits
- steampunkbanana likes this
- smokeyvvelvet likes this
- logic-and-art reblogged this from fractionalrabbits
- fractionalrabbits reblogged this from justjasper
- rabbitsresources reblogged this from justjasper
- saridan likes this
- hailpsychobitch reblogged this from arletterocks
- its-laundry-day likes this
- fraubrewer likes this